Monday, June 28, 2010

No man is an island: Wine Blogger's Conference - Walla Walla

In the next few days I will be catching up on emails and deadlines; as well as catching up on hydrating, potassium and sleep. Throughout the week I will be blogging about the events of the weekend. At this moment I am overwhelmed with valuable information about the wine world, social media and even from my own valley - Walla Walla. Most of all, I am overwhelmed with spirit and friendship. It is the energy from the collaborative spirit and these friendships that I realize that I would not be where I am with my wine blogging, if it weren't for these valuable friendships. I have never been involved with a group of people before who could come together so quickly in the last three years through online social media tools and embrace each other face-to-face as if we had been long-time friends forever.

Friday afternoon I was privileged to be on a panel, Wine Blogging 101, with wine blogging collegues Joe Power from Another Wine Blog, and Colby Voorhees from Wine Peeps. The most important thing I shared with the group, or I can share with any beginning blogger is just three things: 1.) Find your voice. 2.) Be consistent and most important; 3.) Build community.

"All mankind is of one author, and is one volume; when one man dies, one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better language; and every chapter must be so translated...No man is an island, entire of itself...any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee." John Donne, Priest, Poet, and Preacher - 1631

3 comments:

Kristi Davis - Grotto Cellars said...

Fantastic! I'm just waiting for all the writeups to come into my reader :)

Chris said...

Katie,

First of all, it was a great pleasure for both Barb and I to meet you in person.

Second, your panel with Joe and Colby was one of my most valuable experiences at WBC'10. Many changes and ideas in how I approach and publish blogging were learned. Thank you all for that.

Finally since you were the host blogger for Walla Walla, I think I'll be joined by everyone there, especially those us of from in-State, in saying you represented yourself, your City, and our state with wonderful grace and aplomb.

Well done.

Chris said...

And I mispelled you name. sorry about that.

Where is that spellchecker/ dumbass button in blogspot?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...