Friday, June 09, 2006

Isenhower Wild Thyme

I am always telling people to try the Valley's red table blends. You can usually find them for under $20 and for the money you are getting a quality wine. An excellent example is the Isenhower Cellars Wild Thyme 2004 at $17.00.

As you might remember, the winter of 2004 was a tough time for the vineyards in Washington state, but Isenhower Cellars really pulled through with their search of finding vines to make this silky Bordeaux-style wine. A composition of 52% Merlot, 40% Cabernet Sauvignon, 6% Petit Verdot and 2% Cabernet Franc makes this wine very complex, yet very food friendly. My palate picked up plum, chocolate covered cherries, and cigar box (cherries and cigar box are qualities in Merlot that I love!), as well as a light undertone of "green" (could this be the Thyme?). It finished with vanilla and creme brulee. Rather buttery to my lips.

Some may say I am a bit unorthodox when it comes to my pairing of wine for desserts. I usually stay clear of the off-dry dessert wines and go straight for a red Bordeaux-style. I love pairing these wines with caramel and/or chocolate desserts. The Isenhower Cellars Wild Thyme was a perfect pairing to a slice of rich meringue-topped chocolate cake I enjoyed after dinner. Do I dare make the corny reference that the combination of this wine and chocolate made for a wild thyme (groaner)?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...