Friday, December 30, 2005

The Wrath of Grapes

Hangover Day is this weekend. I won't be one of those suffering from the wrath of the grape. I won't be suffering from the wrath of the potato or malt, barley and hops either. It doesn't mean that I won't be taking a nip of something. Maybe a martini out of a new potato vodka and I have a bottle of Malbec from Argentina that keeps calling my name. It's just that I have learned my lesson or so I think I have.

There are several preferred remedies for hangovers and there is even a new pill that will thwart off hangovers so there will be no need to nurse one. For remedies there is always aspirin, acetaminophen, Alka-Seltzer, "hair of the dog..."(Mmmm - Bloody Mary's extra spicy!), B-12, sports drinks (I swear by this one - high in electrolytes, will help replenish what the kidneys have excreted during drinking), exercise, black coffee and lots of water.

So now that you have the aching head under control, what about the empty stomach? I have a solution for you - something big and greasy that will stick to your ribs - - biscuits and country sausage gravy with a side of hashbrowns and more gravy. Then take a nap and follow the above preferred remedies - - repeat, lather and rinse - - wait it out and in a few days you will feel like new.

Here's to a Happy and Prosperous New Year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I take an herbal supplement that seems to help, although I can't say why. I read about it a couple times so I gave it a try and was pleased with the results, although I have to confess I haven't tried it on a whopping gin-soaked brain, just a few nights of wine drinking. It's Pirckly Pear Cactus and can be found in capsule form at most health foo stores.

While the supplment helps a little, the best hangover cure I've found is Bikram Yoga. Getting through a class with a hangover will be one of the hardest things you've done in this life but you will feel practically normal afterwards.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...