Wednesday, November 30, 2005

College Cellars

Last weekend I had the opportunity to taste a couple of wines from College Cellars at the "The Walla Walla Institute for Enology and Viticulture. Stan's students are doing wonderful things at the College Cellar. I tasted one of my favorites (and rare) - Lemberger. It was fruit forward with a mouthful of strawberries. A long jammy, yet peppery finish which makes for a very food friendly wine. Also a light wine for those winter afternoons in front of the fireplace. A great price at $12.00. I had to buy one. If you like Lemberger, I would recommend to grab this wine ASAP. Not much left.

Also available for tasting a 2004 Syrah of Rose'. I know a secret about this wine - the enology students added a bit of Chardonnay. Not sure why and therefore I had in my mind I was not going to like it. I was fooled. What a great picnic wine! I was immediately impressed. Perfectly dry and yet forward like a fruit salad. I loved this wine for what it was. Since it is a bit on the nipplei erectus (Latin for "cold") side for a picnic, this would be a nice addition to the holiday entertaining cheese plate. Sante'!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...